Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - October 31, 2013
David "Pua" Rochlen, president of Jams World and Surf Line Hawaii, accepts the Lifetime Achievement Award as presented by Gov. Neil Abercrombie and Dale Hope.
Award to the Wise
What: Congratulations to the winners of last night's Governor's Fashion Awards! The following were honored at a special ceremony at The Modern Honolulu to cap off Hawaii Fashion Month:
- Outstanding Professional: Don Kang, Hilo Hattie
- Beauty Professional: Paul Brown, Paul Brown Salons
- Wardrobe Stylist: Amos Kotomori, Amos Kotomori Ltd.
- Photographer: Harold Julian, Harold Julian Photography
- Boutique Retailer of the Year: Deborah Mascia, Mu'umu'u Heaven
- Major Retailer of the Year: Don Kang, Hilo Hattie
- Designer - Jewelry: Jason Dow, Jason Dow, Inc.
- Designer - Couture/Formal: Anne Namba, Anne Namba Designs
- Designer - Aloha: Jamie Makasobe, Ane Bakutis and Hina Kneubuhl, Kealopiko
- Designer - Contemporary: Ari South, Andy South
- Emerging Designer of the Year: Cora Spearman, Coradorables
- Established Designer of the Year: Rona Bennett and Lan Chung, Fighting Eel
- Lifetime Achievement: David "Pua" Rochlen, Jams World
-- SPONSORED LISTING --
The Suite Life
What: Enter to win the ultimate two-night retreat courtesy of The Residences at Kapalua Bay. You and your lucky loved ones can unwind at the Kapalua Spa and Fitness Center, championship golf courses and tennis facilities, or the Kapalua Beach Club and infinity pool. Then, at night, withdraw to your luxurious two-bedroom suite with plush king-sized beds, private lanais, and fully equipped, state-of-the-art kitchen and laundry facilities. Warning: you might never want to leave.
When: Entries will be accepted through Sunday, November 10.
Where: One Bay Dr., Lahaina
Details: Click here to enter. Regular kamaaina rates are $495 for a two-bedroom suite and $595 for a three-bedroom suite with a three-night stay minimum. More on The Residences at Kapalua Bay's website.
Don't miss HONOLULU Magazine's 2014 Hale Aina Awards next Sunday, November 10, in The Royal Hawaiian's gorgeous Coconut Grove. Feast on tantalizing dishes from nine award-winning restaurants, like Nico's at Pier 38's sous vide mahi mahi with roasted shiitake mushroom orzo and lobster black bean cream, plus hosted drinks. $100 per person, full menu and tickets here.
What: Starting tomorrow, you can shop Pier 1 Import's brand-new store in Ward Village Shops. While the nearly 10,000-square-foot space is smaller than the original, a new open store concept makes it feel much larger with better lighting, natural hues and lit shelving units. Enjoy live entertainment and product and gift card giveaways during the grand opening celebration, plus the first 300 shoppers will receive a free reusable bag with gifts.
When: Opens tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. with a grand opening celebration through 1:30 p.m.
Where: 1170 Auahi St.
What: Tricks and treats abound at Hawaii Doggie Bakery, where dogs who arrive in costume and perform a trick will get a treat. Plus, pick up freshly baked goodies like Halloween pumpkin-n-poi cupcakes and Okinawan sweet "boo-tato" ghosts, and photograph your pooch in front of a fun Halloween-themed set.
When: Today until 7 p.m.
Where: 2961C E. Manoa Rd.
Come Fright In
What: Get into the "spirit" of the holiday with HONOLULU Magazine's fun Halloween-related posts, including:
Where to party tonight / Halloween restaurant specials / Pumpkin cocktail recipes / Haunted trails on Oahu / Does your new home have ghosts?
- Ward Centers host its Festival of Giving tomorrow through Sunday. Pick up a $10 passport at the Information and Service Counter to unlock exclusive deals from more than 100 stores and restaurants. All proceeds to benefit 65 local non-profit organizations. Full discount list and details here.
- Heaven on Earth Salon & Day Spa, a HONOLULU Magazine Best Of 2013 pick, opens its newly expanded, full-service Waikiki spa tomorrow. New menu options include Murad facials, face and body waxing, gel manis and pedis and a 50-minute massage starting at $68. Hale Koa Hotel, 2055 Kalia Rd., (808) 599-5501.
Night on the Town
Lei Chic's guide to First Friday
Who: Florencia Arias, 1161 Nuuanu Ave.
What: Second anniversary celebration with music, food, drinks, giveaways and free gifts with purchases of $50 or more while supplies last. Mention her anniversary flyer to get 10 percent off your entire purchase, jewelry excluded.
When: 6-9 p.m.
Who: Owens & Co., 1152 Nuuanu Ave.
What: Trunk shows with Noho Designs (screen-printed tea towels, clutches and home accessories) and Wimini Hawaii (screen-printed baby onesies and tees).
When: 6-9 p.m.
Who: Fighting Eel, 1133 Bethel St.
What: The return of Tee Tee Bar
Who: Chinatown Courtyard, 1126 Smith St.
What: ARTmusicBEER with local vendors, food, a live DJ and beer garden, full listing here.
When: 5-10 p.m.
Who: Downbeat Lounge, 40 N. Hotel St.
What: Club Underground with a special guest DJ, $4 drink specials, no cover.
When: 9 p.m.-2 a.m.