Show of Face
A celebrity glam squad? Sure, you've got one.
Your department store makeup kit, a flat iron and the latest issue of InStyle are all you need for an award-winning look. Riiight.
Now's your chance to consult a real A-list expert. Kate Somerville, a skincare specialist whose client list includes some of Hollywood's top celebrities, spotlights her secrets to glowy, red carpet skin.
And while you won't end up looking like Jessica Alba, here's hoping you come pretty darn close.
1) Fill your diet with in-season, organic fruits and vegetables for essential nutrients and antioxidants. One week before the event, start cutting down on salt and caffeine and drink plenty of water.
2) Treat yourself to a facial. If you can't afford a trip to the spa, get one at home. Cleanse skin thoroughly then steam by placing two drops of essential oil in a bowl of hot water and holding your face above it for three minutes to open pores. Exfoliate with a scrub that includes enzymes, natural acids or round microbeads to lift away dead skin cells. Apply a mineral-based treatment mask, then layer on a good serum and moisturizer for extra hydration. Finish with a pat of wrinkle-reducing eye cream.
3) The day before, apply self tanner for glowy, bronzed skin. Exfoliate, thoroughly moisturize dry areas, then apply tanner in circular motions to avoid streaks. Don't forget your fingers and toes, then wash the tanner from your palms only.
4) On the day of the event, reduce under-eye circles by steeping two bags of green tea in hot water. Let them cool, then place over the eyes. Or put two spoons in the fridge for 15 minutes, then place over the eyes.
5) Wear lots of sunscreen (a no-brainer, but worth repeating) and apply mineral makeup for additional protection, like jane iredale.
Splurge: DermalQuench Liquid Lift Advanced Wrinkle Treatment ($95), an at-home product based on one of Somerville's most celeb-loved red carpet treatments for glowing, radiant, younger looking skin.
Save: Curel lotion ($8.99, available at drugstores), Somerville's personal favorite and a great soother for eczema-prone skin.
Meet Kate Somerville in person at Neiman Marcus Ala Moana on Friday, 5-7 p.m. and at Nordstrom Ala Moana on Saturday, 8-9 a.m. Complimentary DermalQuench Oxygen & Hydrating Treatments will be offered by appointment only. Call Neiman Marcus at (808) 951-8887 ext. 7377 and Nordstrom at (808) 589-2060 ext. 1764.
Photo Courtesy: PacificCoastNews.com.