Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - September 12, 2013
What: Sad news for Central Oahu shoppers: Milieu is closing its Waipio boutique. The store is planning to move, though no decision has yet been made on a new retail space or online presence. For now, everything in the shop is marked 40 percent off at least through the end of the month.
Where: 94-1235B Ka Uka Blvd.
What: Score $25 select Allison Izu items and new Rumi Murakami tailored apparel at a special trunk show and sale at HiFi Coop. Plus, shop new accessories brought in by stylist Summer Shiigi from her New York Fashion Week trip (which you can read all about here and here).
When: Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Where: HiFi Coop, Ward Warehouse, 2nd Floor
What: If you haven't yet made it down to Bevy, you might want to stop by this weekend. The newly opened Kakaako bar now offers happy hour with $3 house beers, $5 champagne, a $5 cocktail of the day and $1 oysters.
When: Tuesdays-Saturdays, 4-7 p.m.
Where: 661 Auahi St.
Do Yourself a Flavor
What: Cookspace is offering two fun classes this weekend. On Saturday, Kailua native and New York City mixologist Ryan Kahl will demo a modern spin on the Mai Tai by infusing fresh fruits, herbs and spices in flavorful mixed concoctions. On Sunday, established baker and cookbook author Hector Wong will reveal his secrets to making silky smooth flan and flan brulée with coconut and fresh fruit.
- Shake, Rattle and Roll with Ryan Kahl: Saturday, 6:30-830 p.m., $57.59 per person (tax included), register here.
- Spanish Flantastic: Sunday, 1-3:30 p.m., $52.35 per person (tax included), register here.
Where: Cookspace, Ward Warehouse, 2nd Floor
What: Discover what a great couple tea and chocolate make at Madre Chocolate's Tea and Chocolate Pairing session. Taste the nuances of roasted brown rice genmaicha tea when combined with crunchy chocolate, explore the complimentary flavors of fruity Hamakua-grown chocolate and nutty Hamakua-grown tea, and learn how each contains stimulants to benefit heart and mind.
When: Saturday, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Where: 20A Kainehe St.
Details: $35 per person, register here.
Flea the Scene
What: Art & Flea returns to Kailua this weekend with Funny T-Shirt Night. Plus, score 10-15 percent off specials at neighboring Olive Boutique and Oliver Men's Shop.
When: Saturday, 5-10 p.m.
Where: ChadLou's, 45 Kihapai St.
Details: $3 admission, all ages welcome.
Wardrobe and Other Updates
- Muumuu Heaven's summer vintage sale has been so popular, the store has decided to extend it through the end of the month. Head to the back room and sift through racks of color-coordinated finds, like beaded evening gowns, pleated rompers and flirty aloha print shifts. 767 Kailua Rd.
- Reminder: 3.1 Phillip Lim x Target collaboration goes on sale Sunday. Racked put together this handy tip sheet so you don't miss out on your favorite looks.
- Dax & Zan Jewelry just launched an online store, so you no longer have to wait for monthly Art & Fleas to get your hands on the line's affordable beach-inspired pieces, like aventurine spike hoop earrings or a mother of pearl bib necklace.
- Crocs is launching an upscale fashion footwear line. Curatorial Footwear will offer colorblocked pumps, flats and sandals made of the same signature plastic uppers and footbeds as the original.
Who: Cottage by the Sea, Ward Warehouse
Deal: 10 percent off everything to celebrate the boutique's 10th anniversary, plus a furniture sale.
When: Through September.